Sunday, April 04, 2010

Fly-tipping = ???

     Okay, whoever CORRECTLY answered this week's trivia question is either very lucky or a Brit (please let me know who got this one).  "Fly-tipping" is the illegal dumping of trash onto roadways, sidewalks and pathways.  I was inspired to write this trivia question after I passed a sign next to dumpers saying "No fly tipping permitted."  So, I'm thinking what the hell is "fly tipping?"  Is this like dumpster diving?  Trash picking?  I dunno . . . I'm just girl from The 'Burgh who now lives in England.  As I was walking with my supervisor to another office to review files, she darted across the street to cross traffic.  That's when I asked her if every here "jaywalks?"  She looked at me like I had three heads with horns growing out of each one.  "Jaywalking!!!"  What the hell is that?"  I looked astonished that she had no clue as to what is jaywalking (walking across the street outside of marked cross-walk or against a traffic signal).  To which I exclaimed, "No wonder so many people get hit by cars over here.  It's legal to run into traffic anywhere you please."  We both started laughing.

     Well, now that you know what fly-tipping is, I will humor those in the US with more little terms which the "English" have decided is part of their language.  Go figure.

nappy       =       diaper
bonnet      =       hood of a car
boot         =       truck of a car
"Bugger!" (slang)    =   "SHIT!"  (not slang)
brilliant    =        great; wonderful
ring me    =       call me
"Hiya"        =     "Hello"
"One off"    =    speical; one time event
someone looks "smart"    =  someone looks "sharp"
waffle      =   to talk on and on about nothing (like most Congressmen)
jacksie!!!    =    asshole!!!
"having kittens"   =   jittery; very anxious

Now, I KNOW that some of these are even new to those former Brits who have been away from this island for a while, but these words and terms are up-to-date.  And, as far as calling those who lived/live in Great britian; those who live in the USA are called "ex-pats" or "ex-patriots"  How's that for "rubbing salt in a wound." 

HMMMMM . . . I wonder if they know that expression here.  Oh well . . . who cares.

Cheers!!!  =   Later Shithead!!!  :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh are those words funny.
I went on google earth yesterday and found out where you live. If it is the right place you are surrounded by a lot of green grass.
Is it a house you are in? is there two buildings/garages in the back?
Sandy