Sunday, February 28, 2010

Scottish Ceilidh

     I went to see the Reading Scottish Pipe & Drum Corps play at Town Hall today and it was something AWESOME to witness.  I stated earlier that I would take video and place it on my blog; however, videotaping and pictures were not permitted.  Well, it really doesn't matter because videotaping would not have done this "ceilidh" any justice.  BTW, a ceilidh is a traditional Gaelic social event, usually dance and music, originating in Ireland and Scottland.  It had to be attended to enjoy all the music, dance and singing.  Picture this -- 18 bagpipers, 8 snare drummers, and one bass drummer -- all in their Scottish kilts and sporrans (that's the horsehair drape around the front of the kilt).  They marched into the Town Hall concert area and the music just vibrated in your chest.  Once up front, the lead bagpiper went to the center and played "Amazing Grace" like I've never heard it before.  Oh, you bet I had to wipe the tears in my eyes -- it was BEAUTIFUL!!!!

     Along with the Scottish Pipe & Drum Corps, there were Irish dancers, Scottish folk singers and other types of Scottish and Irish music.  What an afternoon!!!  Reading's Scottish Pipe & Drum Corps are going to play at the 2010 Royal Edinburg Military Tattoo in Edinburg, Scottland thisAugust.  This was just a pre-performance as they warm up for the grandure of playing at Edinburg Castle.  Needless to say, I had a very fun afternoon.  This certainly made up for the crappy week I had.  I guess that's just the ebb & flow of this wonderful journey.  I am going to experience as much of the UK culture as possible and see the magnificent history of the UK. 

No comments: