Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fantastic Friday

     When many of us wake up on a Friday morning to go to work, we say to ourselves, TGIF!!!!  As if to say, thank yoiu so much for getting to Friday so I can rest and have fun this weekend.  No more work after today for two days.  This, of course, is for those who have a Monday - Friday job (not counting overtime).  Well, when this past Friday rolled around, I said the same thing -- TGIF!!!  However, mine was to say that I am so excited to go to work today!!!  Why?  I was headed back to Northern Wales -- this time on a train!  Last time I went, I was driven by one of myt co-workers.  This time I could relax and just take in all the scenery.  Plus, it was one of the most beautiful days of this year -- sunny, warm, and not a cloud in the sky.

     The train was crowded since there were no planes flying due to the volcano ash from Iceland, so many people were taking trains to meetings around the UK.  I made sure to get windows seats when I first got on the trains just so I could stare out the windows.  My first train went from Reading to Birmingham; the second from Birmingham to Crewe; the last one from Crewe to Chester.  All stops within England.  The trip from Reading to birmingham was beautiful since I got to see many places from the train window.  When the train stopped in Oxford, I could see so many cathedral roofs and steeples.  I want to visit Oxford someday soon.  I did not get to see B irmingham since I had to run to catch the train to Crewe.  I had five minutes to run from one platform to another, and since I am a runner-at-heart, I was up to the challenge.  I made it as the train doors closed.  These trains leave ON TIME!!!  Don't be a minute late or you would have to wait for the next one.

     From Birmingham to Crewe, the countryside seemed to get greener and greener.  I loved this portion of my trip.  The train would lean to one side as it rounded a bend then lean to the other side to snake its way through the hills and between farmlands.  Did I happen to mention all the SHEEP!!!  I think I did in some prior blogs, but it's worth mentioning again.  HOLY SHEEP!!!!  I saw many animals as a matter of fact.  Sheep, cows, horses, swans (lots of those), ducks, and deer.  Yeah, they have deer over here too, but not like in Pennsylvania.  The deer herelook different -- more furier (sp?).  Once I got to Crewe, I had to sprint again to catch my train from Crewe to Chester, England.  While running to the train, I had to call the staff at the place where I was to visit my client so they could come and pick me up at the train station.  They were still an hours drive north in Wales from Chester.  This train ride was sort; however, still very beautiful.  I saw the remains of an old castle or church on a cliff while riding along.  I wanted to shout and share it with someone, but I knew I would probably be throw off the train for that, so I kept my mouth shut.  As I noticed the landscape and houses as I got closer to Wales, I could definately tell the difference in the makeup of the buildings.  The stones are lighter and thicker in England than in Wales.

     When I got off the train, I had to wait for my ride outside the train station in Chester.  The buildings looked very authentic and in their original style.  As I noticed this, I decided to go back into the building to see if they had any pamphlets on the town.  Turns out that this is a very touristy place to visit in the summer -- even for those in the UK.  Chester is an old Roman occupied city with walls dating back 2,000 years ago.  They also have the world's most photographed clock (second to Big Ben) which is called The Eastgate Clock built to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.  I found out from the young lady, Sharan, who picked me up from the train station that all this was located within the small city of Chester.  Chester also boasts of the oldest horrse racetrack in England.  When I told my friends about Chester when I returned home, we all decided to make this a weekend trip soon.  These countries are wonderful to visit old castles, churches, homes, pubs, etc.  I just LOVE history!!!

    Sharan drove me north from Chetser into the hills of Wales into their national parkcalled, Snowdonia.  As before, it is the most beautiful place I have visited so far.   I think I say that with every new place I visit.  But this trip was great!!!  The young man I went to visit was quite and shy to me at first, but opened up to me as we ate luch.  We got to take about what he wants to happen in his life.  I think his requestes were very legitimate questions and he did not seem too get too angry about not getting the answers he had hoped to get. The young man and I went outside in the yard to talk in private and this was a great time to get to know my young person.  I gave him some positive news, and he was very excited about this news.  After talking or about 45 minutes, it was time for me to get back to the train station.  There is more that happened; however, I cannot let you know due to confidentiality.  Anyways, it was a great visit with this young man.

     As we headed back to the train station,. I got to talk to this young man some more, and by the time I said good-bye to him at the stataion, he was asking me when I would be back.  A good sign!!!  I gave him some dates and he will be counting the days for my return.  The train ridae back to Reading was just was excitiing as the ride up, but this time the sun was setting and the countryside looked beqautiful but different than before.  I can't wait until I return in May.  I get to see this all over again.

     I got back to Reading at 8:10pm, then headed to the bar to meet the U.N. Crew where we had decided to meet for our monthly gathering.  I got there late, so I did not order food. I just picked off others as they offered me food.  Once again, I had so much fun with my friends, and I called it a night around 10:00pm.  A very long day; however, quite a great day for me.

A Fantastic Friday!!!

No comments: