Saturday, March 13, 2010

Happy Hour Friday!

     Well folks, it's the weekend again and tonight was Happy Hour for the small group of people from the US, Canada and Jamacia (i.e. my awesome new friends!!!).  However, let me fill you in on what happened in between Wednesday evening and Happy Hour.  Yesterday, I had to get caught up on a ton of paperwork; of which I have no idea how to fill out because no one in the office cared to show me.  Therefore, I just fill in the documents as best I can and if they have a problem with it, then they need toshow me how it's done.  Can you tell I'm a bit frustrated?  Well, I'm not the only one.  It seems that this is a major issue with everyone -- not just me.  This morning on the BBC radio & tv, they were talking about two girls who were repeatedly raped by their father for 20+ years and bore him 8 children.  The girls tried to tell social services, the police, and their doctors; however, no one did anything to protect them.  Now the children have birth defects, social services is getting "hammered," and WE are at the other end of the tongue-lashings.  It's pretty bad over here.  Like all of us were saying, in the states, we would have removed the kids and asked questions later.  Here, they keep them with their parents until they can find proof.  It's SHITTY work and SHITTY laws, and if they don't change them, then all of us who are new will probably be fired for procecting kids without folowing the "procedures."  Yep, that's me!!!  I'll be damned if I am going to let a kid suffer because it's "not procedure" to keep that childsafe.  BULLSHIT!!!  Sorry about the language there folks, but it's THAT CRAPPY over here.  BTW, the father is serving a life sentance, but those poor girls.  My heart just aches for them.  I have a case similar to that one; however, my child is safe from anymore harm from his parents; however, I cannot talk about it here, so just pray for all the kids in social services.

     Well, that was Thursday -- all day -- so I just went to my hotel and caught up on some letter-writing.  Today, we had training with the eduactional staff for child services.  They were extremely helpful and explained things very well.  Their educational system is very different over here and complicated.  They had to explain it to us several times just so we could grasp the concept.  I'm not going to even try to explain it since I'm still a bit confused about it.  After lunch, I went to visit two more children on my caseload just to introduce myself.  The two girls I went to see are very sweet and they giggled and laughed at my accent.  It was so cute.  They asked me questions about the United States and were amazed at my answers like how big the US is, how hot and cold it can get, and how much time the kids have off during summer break.   They are living in the home where they will be adopted, so I just have to monitor them while the adoption process is happening.  I like these kind of cases.   

     At the end of the workday, it was time to head into town to meet the others for HAPPY HOUR(S)!!!  I met up with the crew from the other office, since they were already at Dogma (an awesome pub).  Before I walked in, I took time to call a wonderful friend back in Bridgeville -- hi L.  As the others trickled in, including Ruth (she's part of the crew now), we talked and complained and talked and complained and talked; during which we laughed, danced, and drank!!!  What a GREAT TIME all of us had.  It was a welcomed break after the past two weeks of work.  How fun!!!  Some of us made plans to go to Edinburgh, Scottland over the Easter weekend since we have four days off.  We are going up there by train and go to church services at St. George's (St. George is the patron saint of Scottland) for Easter services.  We will tour the Edinburgh Castle, cross the Firth of Fourth Bridge, and do other wonderful sight-seeing.  All of the crew are so amazed at how well we all get along -- 10 people from all parts of North America.  How amazing and wonderfful is that!!!!  God has blessed us so well and I am extremely thankful to Him for letting me be a part of all this.  I DO NOT and WILL NOT regret my decision to come to England to work by protecting God's children.  I just pray that I can carry out this task on which He is guiding me.

     It's now time for bed and I am to move into my house tomorrow.  I am sooooooooooo looking forward to being in "my own place" without having to live out of a suitcase for the past four weeks.  This is worse than when I was in Uganda, Africa.  Dear God, I cannot wait until I move tomorrow.  I am looking forward to having my friends and family over to be with me in my house.  I will cook and clean and light a fire and talk and talk and talk.  I think I will  even have a barbeque in the summer.  All I need now is for the landlord to call me to pick up the keys.  Praise God!!!!!  Get me home!!!  Okay everyone, let's pray this goes smooothly tomorrow.  I will catch up with you then.  Good night.

5 comments:

ComfortablyNumb said...

Glad things are starting to "brighten up". Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train. Good luck with the move into your new flat. Heres hoping the first nights sleep in your new place will be the best. Kiki wants to know if you have tried the Bangers and Mash or Mushy Peas yet. Those are her favorites.
SPJ

ComfortablyNumb said...

Hey how did your move go?

SPJ

ComfortablyNumb said...

Bueller? Bueller?

Eileen said...

Welcome to the joys of National Health Service. Too many people, and not enough doctors and no quality of service because they are doing you a "favour" by seeing you at all because you're not paying! It's been that way for a long time. But, thank you for caring about England's children. You will be a breath of fresh air that is much needed. Keep insisting! God bless

Beginning Butterfly said...

Comfortably Numb, I have a job that is very demanding and cannot always get to the computer. I will have the Internet in my small, quaint house in a few days, so I will be able to harass you constantly then. No, I have not tried those deliciously sounding dishes yet, but I have tried the Shephard's pie and I am not a fan.

Fry? Fry? Fry?

Eileen, that ordeal was an eye-opener and I am NOT a fan of the healthcare system over here. As for the children of the UK, I cannot see myself doing anything other than helping children who have been abused and neglected by family. I will all that is within my power (and some things that are not) to protect the children of the UK. I now have a very fond passion to improve quality social work in the UK which has been lacking for so long. I believe that the group who came from the US, Canada and Jamacia are all very passionate about this. Who knows, maybe you will see me on the National news in the US as a "crazy American storms Parliament insiting that the child care statutes are incredibly stupid and they must do something before another child dies or is repeatedly raped!!!" You will know that was me and the "gang from overseas."